Italiano    English   

Studenti stranieri ANNO 2005

Non-EU citizens living outside Italy











If you come from a non-EU country (except for EU-equated countries, i.e. Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, San Marino or Liechtenstein) and live outside Italy, you must:

·         Submit an application to the Italian Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence (including documentary evidence, as requested by the Consulate) by 21st July 2017. Find your course of study on our course catalogue and check if there are places available. A student visa will be issued on your passport, allowing you to travel to Italy

·         Register on our portal (Esse3):

·         If you have chosen a program that requires an entrance test (limited-number programs), you must apply online for the test using your username and password received after registration on our portal. Applications will open on the first day of publication of the Calls for Applications for admission, usually available in early July:

·         If you want to apply on Medicine, Dentistry or Architecture, DO NOT FORGET to register on Universitaly website by 26th July

·         Apply for the residence permit at a post office within 8 days of your arrival in Italy. For further information, see our guidelines

·         Hand in the documents returned by the Consulate at our International Students’ Desk - Servizio Studenti Internazionali - and show the postal receipt as proof of application for your residence permit

·         For applicants of open-admission programs (not requiring to sit an entrance test): Apply for enrollment online - from 17th July to 5th October 2017 – using your username and password


·         For applicants of restricted- admission programs (requiring to sit an entrance test): after taking the test, wait for the results and, if you have passed the test, apply online for enrollment using your username and password. Please check the dates on the Call for Applications (Bando) and ensure to apply by the deadline!






Notification of the date, time and venue is sent to the Italian Consulates and published on this website as soon as details are available (Admission Tests).

The Italian language test will be held on 1st September 2017

You do not have to take this test if:

- you hold a qualification from an international school;

- you apply for a master-level programme (laurea magistrale);

- you hold a certificate of competence in Italian (at least level B2), recognized by the CLIQ Association (Quality Certification), e. g. CELI, CILS, PLIDA;

- you apply for an English-taught programme. In this case, you must pass a test in English.

·         Assessment test: for access to open-admission programs, either first or second cycle, the student’s knowledge must be assessed. Each program establishes its specific requirements and how they should be met. Link to Immatricolazioni (and “Info accesso”) to check conditions of admission to your program.

·         Admission test: it is compulsory for admission to restricted-access programs (regulations are set out in the relevant program’s Call for Applications).

Please note: Before taking the entrance test you need to pass the Italian language test (see exceptions above) and pay the admission exam fee by credit card during the online process or, if you are unable to use the online payment method, you can pay in a bank on arrival in Italy using the invoice you’ll have downloaded and printed out (make sure to pay before sitting the test!)

Candidates are placed by rank order of their test scores and, if successful, can apply for enrollment. A limited number of places is available on each program for non-EU citizens on a student visa. Please note, however, that applicants from international schools are not subject to such quotas, therefore, in case of limited-access programs, they compete with EU students (and non-EU students residing in Italy).


Informazioni aggiornate al: 21.6.2017 alle ore 16:42